Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Combat malaria: Nothing But Nets.

Professional soccer player, and all-around good guy, Diego Gutierrez is raising money to combat malaria, which infects over 400 million people a year and kills between 1-3 million; mostly in sub-Saharan Africa.

Hi, my name is Diego Gutierrez from Bogotá Colombia in South America, I am now living the American dream playing for Major League Soccer’s Chicago Fire as a the midfielder. My life now is a stark difference from the first 17 years from my life where I saw poverty first hand everyday living in Colombia. When my wife Ginna and I learned about the devastating effects malaria has, especially on children, we were compelled to action and teamed up with Nothing But Nets and Malaria No More to spread the word and do all we can to encourage others to act. The fact that this terrible disease is preventable and treatable is something we found astonishing – that there are children out there dying, every thirty seconds because they don’t have a simple bed net over their heads. As a soccer player, nets play an essential role in my life too, but it does not mean life-or death.

Nothing But Nets. (BigSoccer.com)